Oldest of the English retrievers, believed to be descended from a cross between the Newfoundland and the Irish Water Spaniel.
Tough, strong, active and curageous with crisp, tight curls.
Grooming and Physical Needs
- Grooming Needs: Should be washed regularly, but be mindful when brushing them as this will make their coat frizzy, it is recommended to wet their coat after brushing as this will resume their curls.
- Coat Type: A mass of crisp, tight curls covering the entire body.
- Moulting: Moderate shedding.
- Exercise Needs: High-energy requiring a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. They love swimming and retrieving and require a daily walk and make great jogging companions.
- Average Life Span: 9 to 14 years.
- Family: Not suited to city life as requires a lot of exercise and does not like being confined or alone. Known to be relatively patient with children.
- Temperament: Calm, poised and affectionate but very independent.
- Trainability: Requires firm but patient and gentle training.
- Sociability (Other Pets): Usually gets on well with dogs and other household animals such as cats.
- Barking: High tendency.
Great endurance and a very subtle nose, excellent swimmer and retriever.
Health issues that potential owners must be aware of are, hip dysplasia, eye problems, exercise induced collapse, bloating and epilepsy.